- Tuina Massage
- Herbal Therapy
- Facial & Beauty Therapy
- Other Therapies
- Service & Price
- Guarantee Policy
We are members of
Acupuncture is based on the concept that the body’s vital energy travels in a clearly defined path, which TCM calls meridians or channels. By using sterilized, single-use, disposable needles at meridian points that correspond to various organs and systems in the body, the body’s energy can be encouraged back into balance and stimulated to heal itself. At our clinic you will be in expert hands.
Acupuncture can used for a wide range of symptoms or conditions. These include anxiety states, arthritis, asthma, back pain, circulatory problems, depression, facial paralysis, fibrositis, high blood pressure, indeterminate aches and pains, infertility menstrual problems, migraines, rheumatism, sciatica, skin conditions or ulcers.
The World Health Organization
The World Health Organization recognizes acupuncture’s effectiveness for over 40 common disorders, including:
1. Ear, Nose and Throat disorders such as toothaches, earaches, sinusitus and laryngitis.
2. Respiratory disorders such as colds and flu, bronchitis, asthma and allergies.
3. Gastrointestinal disorders such as food allergies, nausea, indigestion and diarrhea.
4. Circulatory disorders such as hypertension, high cholesterol and arteriosclerosis.
5. Psychoemotional disorders such as depression, anxiety, insomnia, headaches, migraines and tinnitus.
6. Gynecological disorders such as menstrual irregularity, endometriosis and PMS.
How does acupuncture work?
Modern Western medicine cannot yet explain how acupuncture works. Traditional Asian acupuncture is based on ancient Chinese theories of flow of qi (a fine, essential substance which nourishes and constructs the body) through distinct channels that cover the body somewhat like the nerves and blood vessels. According to this theory, acupuncture adjusts the flow of qi in the body, leading it to areas where it is insufficient and draining it from areas where it is stuck or super-abundant. Some Western theorists believe that it works on the nervous system which stimulates chemical reactions within the immune system. Whatever way you want to look at it, it works!
Is acupuncture safe?
When performed by competent trained professionals at Petrel Natural Health acupuncture is completely safe. Please note that we always use individually packaged, sterile, disposable needles.
Does it hurt?
Acupuncture needles are typically not much thicker than a human hair, and their insertion is practically painless. Some people might experience a temporary feeling of heaviness, pressure, tingling or numbness. Most people find acupuncture relaxing and many fall asleep during the treatment.
What kind of pain can be treated effectively by acupuncture?
The most popular application of acupuncture is to treat pains, though acupuncture is also extremely useful for treating many other conditions. According to the report presented by WHO (World Health Organisation), acupuncture has well been demonstrated to be very effective and useful for all the following pains or the conditions which cause pain:
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Cancer pain
- Craniocerebral injury
- Eye pain due to subconjunctival injection
- Facial pain (including craniomandibular disorders)
- Knee pain
- Labour pain
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Pain due to endoscopic examination
- Pain in dentistry (including dental pain and temporomandibular dysfunction)
- Pain in thromboangiitis obliterans
- Periarthritis of shoulder
- Postoperative pain
- Radicular and pseudoradicular pain syndromeacupuncture_on_pains.gif
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Spine pain, acute
- Sports injuries
- Stiff neck
- Tennis elbow
How does acupuncture work on pains?
There are many therapies that attempt to stop pain. Most of them mask the pain while hoping the body is able to heal itself or push the body to heal faster while offering limited pain relief. Acupuncture is an extremely powerful and effective approach to treat pain because it decreases pain levels as it stimulates the body’s healing response. Acupuncture resolves pain by affecting several pain pathways and healing responses at the same time:
- raise endorphin levels and diminish the nervous system’s pain response
- decrease inflammation and swelling
- relax muscles and stop spasms
- increase circulation to the local area
Why better effects can usually be achieved when acupuncture is combined with Chinese Massage or Chinese Herbal Therapy ?
The body is a highly complicated system linked by a network of meridian channels. From the holistic point of view, the problem of an organ may influence other organs, and the status of other organs will influence the recovery process of the problematic organ. Therefore, pain is far from being an isolated and limited local problem of the site where pain is felt. This is why Chinese Medicine always use the combination of acupuncture, herbal therapy and massage to treat pains: acupuncture reaches the meridian channel system (network), herbal therapy approached the internal depth of the body whilst massage is un-replaceable on enhancing local recovery processes.